by Barbi | Jul 12, 2022 | Creativity, News from the Studio
Note: this event has been paused for now.
I have started a new endeavour where I hope to inspire you to take some time to be creative! I am hosting monthly shows on ConnecTV called “Lets Create! with Barbi Defazio”. ConnecTV is a local (Ottawa) grassroots live streaming platform. Their aim is “To connect people, places and things and have a higher quality of life!” That sounds great to me! I will be going Live every second Thursday of each month at 2:00pm est. on ConnecTV’s facebook page. You will see a post on their facebook page as well as mine where you can set a reminder a few days before each show. So make sure you are following me on Facebook here and give ConnecTV a follow too. I also have each episode listed on my event’s calendar on my website so you can subscribe there for reminders too.
The main topic I will be focusing on is Art Journaling. I find an art journal is a nice entry into exploring ones creativity and art supplies. They are not a large blank canvas that can be overwhelming to some, and no one has to see your pages so you don’t like it, don’t show it but I challenge you to keep it so you can see your growth along your creativity journey. Just like with a writing journal, your art journals can be for your eyes only but can be such a treasure to see how far you have come and grown. Oh yes, your art supplies needn’t be expensive or of professional quality to follow along with me or to explore on your own. I will focus on some ways that I have enjoyed creating and exploring in my art journals. Of which, many of the techniques and steps are easy to replicate. You will also see peeks into my own Art Journals. Of course, part of the fun of these shows is if you watch live, you can ask questions as I create and I can answer right away. Or leave a comment when you are watching a replay and I will answer there. Now and then I aim to feature an awesome local or Canadian business that I think you should know about as well.
My first episode features me in, first time doing this nervous energy. I did a bit of an introduction and then went off script in 2 seconds! Lol I played with watercolours, exploring what magic they create when we overdo the water part. It’s messy, swirling good fun and once dry creates beautiful backgrounds. If you dare, you can watch here.
In my second episode, I got right into it! Creating a page using a charcoal stick, washi tape, mod podge, gesso, acrylic paint, tissue paper scraps and bits that I saved from the recycle bin because reusing is awesome too. I am a collector of bits that catch my eye and of things I feel I can reuse. Which is really code for, I have bins of stuff! 😉 That stuff in those bins have made wonderful Art Journal pages as well as in my Salvage Flower series. Watch the episode here.
Once I am done, I allow the paint to cure/dry on the palette. Then I can
My Salvage Flower series is about reusing all that I can. Some of the magic is I can only create a Salvage Flower when I have acrylic skins available.
These are leftover paint peels and form the petals. I use acrylic paint for the most part in the studio which is basically plastic, so I try to be very mindful with its use. I purchase nearly exclusively Tri-Art paints because of their own reclaiming and reuse in their process and products. They are Canadian-made as well, right in Kingston about an hour from Ottawa. I use their cool non-stick pallet when I am painting. Once the paint cures, I can pull up all the leftover paint that would otherwise go to waste. It is so satisfying to peel the paint off the palette! And each is different; colours, accidental patterns and even doodle can make up a typical peel. This process means that no piece is the same as another.
I recently created a series of mini Salvage Flowers. They will be sold at Mint & Honey Tea and Gift Emporium located at Unit 120 – 150 Katimavik Road, Kanata On. I will update this blog post when they have been delivered. and are available for purchase.
Though I have mentioned and linked products. These are not affiliate links. I am just happily sharing the information for your ease if interested.
by Barbi | Mar 11, 2022 | Behind the Scenes, Creativity, Let's Chat, News from the Studio
*click on any flower for a free colouring page download.
I have been trying to collect my thoughts in a bigger way since the beginning of the year for my “Yay, It’s a New Year!”post. And honestly, it’s not been easy to do so. I think I have re-written this first paragraph at least 6 times. The story will be familiar to you, I am sure. 2022 started out hopeful for me. I am always energized when a new year begins. I love to dream and plan, take stock of the past years highlights and lessons and generally get ready to attack the year. I am ever positive and optimistic, admittedly that has been a challenge throughout these last couple of years. But I must keep it going as it’s the core me.
As our world currently churns, it can feel overwhelming. Many of us are coming out of this stage of the pandemic tired both mentally and physically, struggling in some way or some are happy to “get back to normal”. How ever you are feeling is valid. I encourage you to take time to recharge. It’s is something I need to keep at too so know sometimes that is easier said than done. I have listed a couple of things below that have been helping me and that I hope to give you some inspiration. If you are in need of support, please reach out to your community’s resources.
My goal has been to work on switching things up to help me to move into calm and inspiration. Below is my top 3. What are yours?
- Road trip! Happily, we took a trip to New Brunswick to visit our families, it had been too long and was so nice to see them in person. A change of scenery can do the spirit good! Doesn’t have to be a big trip, be a tourist in the areas close by. I intend to visit my local gallery’s and museums very soon.
- Get the body moving! We have 2 dogs that need and want at least a couple of walks per day, good for doggos and humans alike. The fresh air is a mood balancer for me and the exercise moves the mind as well as the body. I need to remind myself when I get busy or stressed how a simple walk outside does so much for me.
- Creativity! You knew it would be on my list. 😉 Remember creativity comes in many forms! Decorating a cake, stylishly setting the supper table, colouring pages and much more. Of course, I always have ideas and would love to help you get creative! See below for exciting announcements!
What are your self-care, bucket filling go-to’s? Pick 1 and make time to do it.
Click here for a permission slip. ❤️
Next, I am introducing Let’s Create! These workshops/lessons will be virtual, in-studio, out in the community and some will be collaborations. I am excited to help you bring art making and creativity into your life. Art making is so good for the soul, helps to you to rest and helps you to connect with your inner self.
- “Love Note to You” returns! This is an ode to Valentine’s Day and International Women’s Day. I was inspired by the idea that we really do need to love and take care of ourselves first then we have much to give the ones we hold dear. This will be a virtual event so you will gather you own supplies and join via Zoom from the comfort of your home. Summer in the secret garden session will arrive. Tickets will go live very soon!
- Resin workshop. I am going to try this workshop one time in the spring and go from there if it works as a regular offering. There will only be up to 4 participants. This will be an in-studio workshop held over two weekends, 2 sessions; one 2 or 3 hours then other an hour or so. This will be an all supplies included workshop. Just bring yourself! I am settling on dates which will be announced soon.
- “Let’s Create with Barbi Defazio” on ConnectTV. I am going to first focus on Art journalling. “We will have fun with a variety of materials, art supplies and enjoy some time to ourselves to create. Whether you currently have an art journal or not you can join in. Just bring the art supplies you have on hand and a nice cup of Tea! My show will air every second Thursday live on Facebook at 2:00. This new venture is from my friend Jenn Hayward and family. Programming features a wide range of topics and shows. You can watch live or the replay.
I am a vendor at The Maker’s Hub located at 515 Main Street, Winchester, ON, Canada. I am very excited about this new venue. The location is a beautiful, very well preserved heritage home in the heart of Winchester. I am honoured to have a wall in which to feature my pieces for sale. The selection will change as I have new pieces and new offerings.
What is else happening in the studio!
- I continue to enjoy providing my illustration services to entrepreneurs with many projects already booked this year. The support of this community fills my heart everyday.
- Commissions and custom orders are open! though on a limited basis. I encourage you to reach out well in advance of any special occasions.
- New work is coming! I am feeling spring’s energy and all the ideas I have swimming around in my head.
- Red Trillium Studio Tour – Spring Addition is June 4th & 5th. So save the date! I would love to have you visit the studio. I am excited as this year I will be able to have some activities/demos during the tour.
- As West Carleton Arts Society member, my pieces will continue to be exhibited through this wonderful organization’s exhibitions. Look for announcements and give them a follow on social media and support the amazing local artists that are members of this group.
- I have so much more up my sleeves! 😉 Stay tuned!
A big Thank You for following along and if you are new here,
a big Welcome to the studio!
by Barbi | Dec 24, 2021 | News from the Studio
Studio in Winters Slumber
The Studio is now in Winter’s Slumber and will reopen on January, 4th, 2022.
Wishing you and yours a most wonderful and safe Holiday Season.
by Barbi | Dec 15, 2021 | Holiday, News from the Studio
1st Annual Christmas Open House!
This Saturday, December 18th from 11 am to 4 pm you are invited to my 1st Annual Christmas Open House! This will be an opportunity to shop the Studio store, enjoy a tour of the studio and get a peek at some new products and workshops that are coming in 2022! Studio is located at 1000 Kerwin Road Kanata, Ontario. (This is a private residence so visits are Only during Open House, Studio Tour or Booked appointment hours).
Follow along on Social Media this week I will be sharing behind the scenes and sneak peeks.
Yes, there is more!
The Knotty Hen returns to the studio! Tanya will be bringing her amazing crocheted pieces! If you saw her pieces during the Red Trillium Studio Tour you will know that each piece is expertly handcrafted. She will have stockings, mug cozy’s and other items available for purchase.
See you Saturday!!