I have been trying to collect my thoughts in a bigger way since the beginning of the year for my “Yay, It’s a New Year!”post. And honestly, it’s not been easy to do so. I think I have re-written this first paragraph at least 6 times. The story will be familiar to you, I am sure. 2022 started out hopeful for me. I am always energized when a new year begins. I love to dream and plan, take stock of the past years highlights and lessons and generally get ready to attack the year. I am ever positive and optimistic, admittedly that has been a challenge throughout these last couple of years. But I must keep it going as it’s the core me.
As our world currently churns, it can feel overwhelming. Many of us are coming out of this stage of the pandemic tired both mentally and physically, struggling in some way or some are happy to “get back to normal”. How ever you are feeling is valid. I encourage you to take time to recharge. It’s is something I need to keep at too so know sometimes that is easier said than done. I have listed a couple of things below that have been helping me and that I hope to give you some inspiration. If you are in need of support, please reach out to your community’s resources.
My goal has been to work on switching things up to help me to move into calm and inspiration. Below is my top 3. What are yours?
- Road trip! Happily, we took a trip to New Brunswick to visit our families, it had been too long and was so nice to see them in person. A change of scenery can do the spirit good! Doesn’t have to be a big trip, be a tourist in the areas close by. I intend to visit my local gallery’s and museums very soon.
- Get the body moving! We have 2 dogs that need and want at least a couple of walks per day, good for doggos and humans alike. The fresh air is a mood balancer for me and the exercise moves the mind as well as the body. I need to remind myself when I get busy or stressed how a simple walk outside does so much for me.
- Creativity! You knew it would be on my list. 😉 Remember creativity comes in many forms! Decorating a cake, stylishly setting the supper table, colouring pages and much more. Of course, I always have ideas and would love to help you get creative! See below for exciting announcements!
What are your self-care, bucket filling go-to’s? Pick 1 and make time to do it.
Click here for a permission slip. ❤️
Next, I am introducing Let’s Create! These workshops/lessons will be virtual, in-studio, out in the community and some will be collaborations. I am excited to help you bring art making and creativity into your life. Art making is so good for the soul, helps to you to rest and helps you to connect with your inner self.
- “Love Note to You” returns! This is an ode to Valentine’s Day and International Women’s Day. I was inspired by the idea that we really do need to love and take care of ourselves first then we have much to give the ones we hold dear. This will be a virtual event so you will gather you own supplies and join via Zoom from the comfort of your home. Summer in the secret garden session will arrive. Tickets will go live very soon!
- Resin workshop. I am going to try this workshop one time in the spring and go from there if it works as a regular offering. There will only be up to 4 participants. This will be an in-studio workshop held over two weekends, 2 sessions; one 2 or 3 hours then other an hour or so. This will be an all supplies included workshop. Just bring yourself! I am settling on dates which will be announced soon.
- “Let’s Create with Barbi Defazio” on ConnectTV. I am going to first focus on Art journalling. “We will have fun with a variety of materials, art supplies and enjoy some time to ourselves to create. Whether you currently have an art journal or not you can join in. Just bring the art supplies you have on hand and a nice cup of Tea! My show will air every second Thursday live on Facebook at 2:00. This new venture is from my friend Jenn Hayward and family. Programming features a wide range of topics and shows. You can watch live or the replay.
I am a vendor at The Maker’s Hub located at 515 Main Street, Winchester, ON, Canada. I am very excited about this new venue. The location is a beautiful, very well preserved heritage home in the heart of Winchester. I am honoured to have a wall in which to feature my pieces for sale. The selection will change as I have new pieces and new offerings.
What is else happening in the studio!
- I continue to enjoy providing my illustration services to entrepreneurs with many projects already booked this year. The support of this community fills my heart everyday.
- Commissions and custom orders are open! though on a limited basis. I encourage you to reach out well in advance of any special occasions.
- New work is coming! I am feeling spring’s energy and all the ideas I have swimming around in my head.
- Red Trillium Studio Tour – Spring Addition is June 4th & 5th. So save the date! I would love to have you visit the studio. I am excited as this year I will be able to have some activities/demos during the tour.
- As West Carleton Arts Society member, my pieces will continue to be exhibited through this wonderful organization’s exhibitions. Look for announcements and give them a follow on social media and support the amazing local artists that are members of this group.
- I have so much more up my sleeves! 😉 Stay tuned!
A big Thank You for following along and if you are new here,
a big Welcome to the studio!